06 julho 2004

Seven pecados mortais: reflexão



SOMERSET
You tell me, then... you walk into an
apartment, and a man has beaten his wife to
death, or the wife murdered the husband,
and you have to wash the blood off their
children. You put the killer in jail. Who
won?

MILLS
You do your job...

SOMERSET
Where's the victory?

MILLS
You follow the law and do the best you can.
It's all there.

SOMERSET
Just know that in this case there's not
going to be any satisfaction. If we caught
John Doe and he were the devil himself, if
it turned out he were actually Satan, then,
that might live up to our expectations. No
human being could do these things, right?
But, this is not the devil. It's just a
man.

MILLS
Why don't you shut the fuck up for a while?
You bitch and complain... if I thought like
you, I would have slit my wrist already.

Somerset sits back, looking at Mills.

MILLS
You think you're preparing me for the hard
times ahead? You think you're toughening
me up? Well, you're not! You're quitting,
fine... but I'm staying.

SOMERSET
People don't want a champion. They just
want to keep playing the lottery and eating
hamburgers.

MILLS
What the fuck is wrong with you? What
burnt you out?

SOMERSET
It wasn't one thing, if that's what you
mean. I just... I can't live here anymore.
I can't live where stupidity is embraced
and nurtured as if it were a virtue.

MILLS
Oh, you're so much better than everyone,
right? No one's worthy of you.

SOMERSET
Wrong! I sympathize completely, because if
you can't win... then, if you don't ignore
everything and everyone around you, you...
you become like John Doe. It's easier to
beat a child than it is to raise it,
because it takes so much work to love. You
just have to make sure you don't stop to
think about the abuse, and the damage,
because you'll risk being sad. Keep
ignoring.

MILLS
You're talking about people who are
mentally ill. You're...

SOMERSET
No I'm not! I'm talking about common,
everyday life here. If you let yourself
worry about one thing, you'll worry about
the next, and the next, and it never ends.
In this place, ignorance isn't just bliss,
it's a matter of survival.

MILLS
Listen to yourself. You say, "the problem
with people is they don't care, so I don't
care about people." But, you're already
here. You've been here a long time. So,
there's a part of you that knows, even if
everything you say is true, none of it
matters.

SOMERSET
That part of me is dead.

Mills stands.

MILLS
You want me to agree with you: "Yeah,
you're right, Somerset. This is a fucked
place. Let's go live in a fucking log
cabin." Well, I don't agree with you.
You're giving up, and it makes me sick,
because you're the best I've ever seen.


in JUR.NAL

Se7en

Marcadores: ,