07 abril 2007


BALKAN (cont.): Beautiful, aren't they? That soft sheen, that
superb gilding... Not to mention the centuries of wisdom they
contain -- centuries of erudition, of delving Into the secrets of
the Universe and the hearts of men... I know people who would
kill for a collection like this. (CORSO shoots him a quick
glance) The Ars Diavoli! You'll never see as many books on the
subject anywhere else in the world. They're the rarest, the
choicest editions in existence. It has taken me a lifetime to
assemble them. Only the supreme masterpiece was missing. Come...

[...]

CORSO: Where did you get it?

BALKAN: I bought it from Telfer.

CORSO (surprised): Telfer?

BALKAN (looking out the window): Yes, he finally sold it to me. The day before he killed himself.

CORSO: Good timing.

[...]

BALKAN: Are you a religious man, Corso? I mean, do you believe in the supernatural?

CORSO: I believe in my percentage. I also believe that books grow old and decay like the rest of us... Don't you get dizzy, standing there?

[...]

BALKAN (cont.): 1 shall want you to get it for me at all costs, never mind how.

CORSO: Never mind how sounds illegal.

BALKAN: It wouldn't be the first time you've done something illegal.

CORSO: Not that illegal.

[...]

CORSO: That's why I'm here. I need you to stash it for me. I'm starting to see things.

BERNIE stares at him.

BERNIE: Like what?

CORSO: Uninvited visitors, unfamiliar faces. I don't trust anyone, not even Balkan. (reflects for a moment) Come to think of it, I don't even trust you.

[...]

CORSO: Thanks. (admiringly) Handsome glasses.

FARGAS: These are the only ones I have left.

CORSO looks around the room.

CORSO: Must have been a beautiful place.

FARGAS: it was, but old families are like ancient civilizations: they wither and die.

He raises his glass in a silent toast. CORSO reciprocates. FARGAS gestures at the books.

[...]

CORSO: Why don't you sell up?

FARGAS: Sell the Fargas family estate? it's obvious you're an American, my friend. There are things you can't be expected to understand.

CORSO continues to survey the books, fascinated.

[...]

FARGAS: I know, but if I sold them all I'd have no reason to go on living. More brandy?

[...]

FARGAS (eyes him keenly): What are you looking for, Mr. Corso?

CORSO: I wish I knew.

FARGAS looks suddenly grave.

FARGAS: Some books are dangerous. Not to be opened with impunity.

CORSO (with equal gravity): Very true.

[...]

BALKAN (cont.): You have before you the mystery of which men have dreamed throughout the centuries. Thousands have died an agonizing death in hopes of just a glimpse of what you're about to witness!

9th Gate

Marcadores: